Sunday, May 19, 2013

REGARDING the PAIN of OTHERS


REGARDING the PAIN of OTHERS, SUSAN SONTAG
1.       Is it fair to the families of those that had died in war, for the photos of the soldiers’ death to be shown nationally or even around the world?
2.       Is it even necessary to have the disturbing and also violent pictures of war to the public?
3.       Should the photos that we see of war be censored more than it already is?

I’m going to answer question one. Considering that I have a cousin in the air force, I don’t believe that it is fair at all for the families to have the pictures of the deaths shown to the public. Death is something that is personal and especially if It’s with soldiers dying in war, which should not be displayed through the media. If my cousin was to die while on duty, and the photos of his death were displayed nationally, I know myself and my family would be hurt and also very angry. I believe that the government or whoever has these pictures should somehow notify the family of the deceased soldier and get there consent about the release of the photos. I believe that there should be family consent before anyone else sees the photos.
I don’t think that the public should see the photos of the deaths in the war. I don’t think anyone really needs to see that, especially if young kids were to see the images or footage.  There are some images that are just too violent to be shown especially if it is regarding soldiers’ death. I think that the public should be kept up to date with what is happening in the world, such as what is going on in the war, but Ithink it can be done without having to show the gruesome pictures.  I believe that showing some pictures are fine but if they have some censorship or if they aren’t about soldiers dying or getting critically injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment